March is Brain Injury Awareness Month. This monthly observance is meant to raise awareness and educate the public about the incidence of brain injury and the needs of people with brain injuries and their families. In celebration of this cause, we will be examining the top three causes of brain injuries, and discuss how an experienced brain injury attorney can help you with your case.
The top three causes of brain injuries include:
- Car accidents: Over half of all reported traumatic brain injuries are the result of an auto accident. Trauma to the brain can occur because of any force that penetrates or fractures the skull. However, the skull doesn't necessarily have to be penetrated or fractured in order for a traumatic brain injury to occur. Sometimes, the sheer force of the accident can cause the brain to collide against the internal hard bone of the skull, causing the brain to bleed. These types of injuries are not always visible right away and can be life altering.
- Gunshots: Injuries caused by firearms are oftentimes fatal. Gunshot wounds result in open head injuries, which cause focal damage and penetrate the skull.
- Falls: Slip and falls often cause closed head injuries, which can be diffuse and difficult to diagnose right away without advanced medical technology. Young adults and the elderly are at highest risk for these types of injuries.
You can help prevent brain injuries in the following ways:
- Always wear a seat belt when in vehicle
- Use appropriate child safety seats or car seats
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Always wear a helmet when on unrestrained vehicles (bicycle, motorcycle etc.)
- Wear a helmet when participating in contact sports
- Use rails on stairways
- Do not place obstacles in walkways
- Keep guns locked in a cabinet
- Store guns unloaded
- Store ammunition apart from guns
- Teach others how to prevent brain injuries
Brain injuries can lead to significant financial strain for you and your family. Fortunately, that's where an experienced brain injury attorney can help. If you or a loved one sustained a brain injury due to someone else's negligence, our team of litigators at Hayes Law can help fight for the justice and compensation you and your family deserve.
To schedule your initial consultation, give our office a call at (336) 645-3959. We are dedicated to serving clients in Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point and the surrounding North Carolina communities.